International Driving PermitPèrmîns Întèrnâtionna d’Cachi

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised internationally and it normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle without further formality when accompanied by a valid Jersey driving licence.

If you are visiting a country for longer than 3 months, to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, you should make enquiries about your situation before relying on a permit. Remember, it is an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence and, where required, a permit.

The Connétables are authorised to issue IDPs to applicants who hold valid Jersey driving licences.

There are three types of IDP that may be required:

  • 1926 Paris Convention
  • 1949 Geneva Convention
  • 1968 Vienna Convention

The version of the IDP you will require depends on which country you are visiting and whether it is party to the 1926, 1949 or the 1968 Convention.

You may need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have a Jersey driving licence. For further information, please see Driving abroad: Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP) – GOV.UK ( or check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in.

Please note a driver could require more than one type of IDP if they are visiting EU countries covered by different conventions, for example France and Spain.

The list of countries for each IDP can be found on the application form. If you require further information the, UK Post Office’s online guide can be used to check the IDP used in the countries you are planning to visit.

You must sign your IDP as soon as you receive it. An IDP issued in Jersey is not valid for use in Jersey. An IDP cannot be issued to the holder of a Jersey provisional licence.

Check the accuracy of the personal information printed on your driving licence. If there are any errors or you have changed your name or address, you should immediately notify your Parish authority.

If you change your name and/or address you must notify the Parish within 7 days. Use the change my name or address online service or complete and return the form Change of name or address.